- Clear Sequential Episodes of Learning
- Example Texts (greater depth WAGOLL)
- Learning Objectives that link to the teaching sequence (Immerse, Analyse, Plan Write)
- Vocabulary Learning
- Contextualised Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation
- Writer’s Knowledge Linked to National Standards
- Sentence Accuracy Work Linked to National Standards
- Progressions Documents with Year Group Expectations
- Reflecting on Unit Outcomes: Planning for Next Steps
- Example Planning Format
- Wider Reading for the Wider Curriculum
- A Wealth of Resources Linked to the National Standards
- Explicit Links to the National Curriculum
Steps to Read is planning support for whole class Shared Reading through carefully crafted units of work. These units of work also help to provide curriculum knowledge for foundations subjects. They empower our teachers to teach all aspects of word reading and comprehension through high-quality fiction, non-fiction and poetry texts.
Steps to Read provides a clear teaching sequence to reading sessions that explicitly teach reading skills and strategies in a cumulative way through evidence-based approaches. These comprehensive units have been constructed so that the entire statutory curriculum for reading is covered from EYFS to Y2.
The primary aim of Steps to Read is to teach reading comprehensions skills and strategies explicitly.
Steps to Read:
- Is sequenced, coherent and progressive
- Uses language-rich texts for vocabulary teaching
- Includes all elements of comprehension, taught sequentially across an academic year
- Has a clear focus on the skills and strategies needed to be a proficient and confident reader
- Uses engaging texts to promote a life-long love of reading
- Includes poetry, non-fiction and fiction that enhances knowledge learning across the curriculum
Read Write Inc.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a DfE-validated systematic synthetic phonics programme with a whole- school approach to teaching early reading and writing, designed to ensure progress for every child, in our school.
Read Write Inc. enables our teachers to inject their lessons with energy and enjoyment, from teaching the first sounds to developing fluency and comprehension and engaging children in the best stories that reflect all children’s lives.
Children learn to read sounds and blend them into words. They apply this phonic knowledge to read and comprehend Storybooks that are carefully matched to the sounds they know.
Children learn to read these books with a storyteller’s voice.
The aim of Read Write Inc. Phonics is for children to learn to read early.
By the end of term 2 in Year 2 children are able to read stories at over 100 words per minute.
They also learn how to form letters using mnemonics to help them. They learn to spell correctly using their Fred fingers. And they learn to compose their own writing - drawing upon ideas from the story they’ve just read.
Everything knits together: The phonics supports the reading and writing; The reading supports the writing, the writing supports the reading. That’s why Ruth called it Read Write Inc.